The Navantia-Saab Team has declared the submission of its application to Irving Shipbuilding for the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Program.
Through this significant opportunity, Navantia and Saab look forward to working with Irving Shipbuilding, the Canadian Government and the Royal Canadian Navy to provide a state of the art, proven operational warship, a version of which is already in service with the Royal Australian Navy.
Complementing our strong heritage in warship design and construction, Navantia will be offering a proven operational ASW platform, modernized over years of experience in naval programs worldwide. With Saab as the Combat Systems Integrator (CSI) and CEA Technologies providing key elements, the Navantia team is offering a fully compliant solution while at the same time promoting the continued enhancement of Canadian shipbuilding industries.
The construction of a First-In-Class design can be a high-risk undertaking. Success is significantly enhanced through the application of lessons learned and the timely transfer of knowledge and technology acquired from previous builds. To mitigate risks, the Navantia-Saab Team has developed a technology transfer process, proven and operational in five navies. Our team incorporates the following key components:
- Saab’s globally recognized 9LV Combat Management Systems (CMS), in service on over 240 platforms in 16 navies across the globe, including Canada’s own Halifax Class Frigates;
- CEA Technologies Active Phased Array Radar, that is fully compliant with Canada’s requirements and in service onboard the Royal Australia Navy ANZAC Class frigate as well as being mandated for all future frigates to be built for the RAN; and
- Other key partners to the Navantia-Saab Team including Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada, DRS Technologies Limited Canada, OSI Maritime Service and Rheinmetall Canada.
The team’s value proposition to Canada provides the lowest risk solution with a proven, “producible” ship design, for Canada. The Navantia Team is committed to:
- Creating new high-value jobs across Canada, many being qualified engineering positions;
- Investing in Canadian based Innovation that is focused on shipyard 4.0 technologies to support the creation of a sustainable national shipbuilding capability; and
- Developing new export opportunities for the Canadian Defence Industry and partnering Canadian suppliers and producers.
The Navantia-Saab Team is committed to Canada, Irving Shipbuilding, and the Royal Canadian Navy and are ready to proceed.