The Italian Navy’s newest frégate européenne multi-mission (FREMM) frigate, Antonio Marceglia, has been launched at Fincantieri’s Riva Trigoso integrated shipyard in the Province of Genoa.

Antonio Marceglia represents the eighth vessel in a series of ten European FREMM frigates currently being developed by Fincantieri for the navy as part of an Italo-French cooperation programme.

The joint programme is being carried out under the coordination of the international organisation for cooperation on arms, the Organisation Conjointe de Coopération en matière d’Armement (OCCAR).

The Italian Navy vessel is now set to undergo fitting activities at Fincantieri’s integrated naval shipyard in Muggiano, La Spezia.

"The 144m-long vessel features a beam of 19.7m and will have a displacement of approximately 6,700t at full load capacity."

It is currently scheduled to be delivered next year.

The latest class of FREMM frigates is expected to feature enhanced flexibility in order enhance its ability to operate in all tactical situations.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The 144m-long vessel features a beam of 19.7m and will have a displacement of approximately 6,700t at full load capacity.

In addition, the frigate will be capable of travelling at a maximum speed of more than 27k.

Antonio Marceglia will be designed to accommodate a total of 200 crew members.

Fincantieri previously launched the Italian Navy’s seventh seventh FREMM frigate, Federico Martinengo, at the Riva Trigoso shipyard in March last year.

The final two vessels are scheduled to be delivered to the Italian Navy after 2020.

Orizzonte Sistemi Navali is serving as the prime contractor for Italy under the Italo-French programme, while Armaris is acting as the prime contractor for France.

Fincantieri owns 51% shares in Orizzonte Sistemi Navali and Leonardo holds the remaining 49% stake.

Armaris is joint partnership company set up by Naval Group and Thales