Taiwan’s Ministry of National Defence (MND) has claimed that six Chinese People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) ships have been detected around Taiwan on 18 August.
According to MND, Taiwan deployed its military in response to the six ships that continued to operate in the sea around Taiwan.
Taiwan used mission aircraft, ships and shore-mounted missile systems to closely monitor and handle the Chinese vessels.
Apart from the warships, the MND said that a total of 51 Chinese aircraft also entered its air defence identification zone (ADIZ) on the same day.
The MND also provided a map showing the flight path, claiming that out of the 51 fighter jets, a total of 25 aircraft crossed the median line separating the island from China and its extension line into the southwest airspace.
In a tweet, Taiwan MND said: “6 PLAN vessels and 51 PLA aircraft around our surrounding region were detected today (August 18, 2022) until 1700(GMT+8). #ROCArmedForces have monitored the situation and responded to these activities with aircraft in CAP, naval vessels, and land-based missile systems.”
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
“25 of the detected aircraft (SU-30*12, J-10*4, J-16*6, Y-8 EW and H-6*2) had flown on the east part of the median line of the Taiwan Strait and our SW ADIZ, flight paths as illustrated.”
China has been conducting various joint exercises in Taiwan Strait, in response to the US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan earlier this month.
Initially, China announced that the drills will be conducted for a week, from 4 to 7 August.
However, on 9 August another statement was released by China, claiming that PLA will continue to carry out the joint combat exercises.