The US Navy has awarded a contract to Boeing to deliver seven P-8A Poseidon deployable mission readiness trainers (DMRTs).

Under the terms of the deal, the company will deliver the first DMRT for US Navy troops on missions in 2019.

The DMRT will enable aircrew members and operators to enhance their mission readiness, even while serving away from home.

P-8A training systems integrated product team lead commander John Thoe said: “Training ensures the maritime patrol reconnaissance community is proficient in anti-submarine warfare. By using these trainers, crews are trained without adding flight hours to the aircraft.

“DMRTs will fulfil these important requirements by providing high-fidelity, crew-based training to deployed squadrons.”

Boeing has designed the proposed DMRT to be portable with low-power requirements and includes the company’s Weapons Tactics Trainer system that integrates sonobuoy and ocean acoustics modelling.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.
“DMRTs will fulfil these important requirements by providing high-fidelity, crew-based training to deployed squadrons.”

The US Navy trains P-8A Poseidon aircrew members at naval air stations in Jacksonville, Florida, and Whidbey Island, Washington.

While 70% of the training for the aircrews takes place on simulators and other trainers, the remaining 30% use the actual aircraft.

Boeing has also secured another contract to supply a complete P-8A training system to the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). The delivery is slated to begin next year.

Equipped with the capability to conduct broad-area maritime and littoral operations, the P-8A Poseidon aircraft has been designed for long-range anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions.

Image: Boeing’s Weapons Tactics Trainer system, which incorporates sonobuoy and ocean acoustics modelling. Photo: courtesy of Boeing.