Communications and Network System Development for Marine and Military Purposes
- Company Details
- Products & Services
- White Papers
- Press Releases
- Regional Offices
- Contact Company
Systems Engineering and Assessment (SEA) is a leading provider of communications and network system development for military, space and commercial applications. The company's expertise includes open architectures and internet technologies, communications equipment design, integration, configuration, control and monitoring.
SEA delivers complete and innovative external communications systems (ECS), which include embedded network solutions that provide legacy, current and future equipment sub-system integration, configuration, control and monitoring.
SEA has original research and development capabilities up to and including the delivery of technology demonstration platforms.
The company's solutions are largely COTS-based and are open architecture/ open standards compliant.
SEA offers communications and network system development for military and commercial applications offering:
- Specialised communications equipment development
- Open systems
- Communications equipment integration, configuration, control and monitoring
- Information solutions for distributed data sources
- Communications systems engineering
Common external communications systems
SEA's common external communications system (CECS) is an open architecture solution for marine communication applications. With its easy system integration and scalable features, the CECS systems can be upgraded at low costs and has a much longer life performance than other machines.
By using a common standard IP data format, CECS can support multiple legacy interfaces as well as future capability enhancements to the communications systems of maritime vessels.
The UK Royal Navy's submarine fleet are users of SEA's CECS system due to its simple user-interface and efficient communication integration.
3D training and simulation
DECKsim is SEA's realistic 3D virtual environment training system for students learning flight deck and land-based airfield operations. The software simulates safety-critical aircraft operations in the airborne and ground phases of aircraft launch and recovery operations.
It is a highly cost-effective solution, as students spend less time training on live aircraft, and it can be easily upgraded for future-proofing purposes. DECKsim contains fully configurable scenarios that are managed by simple user controls to ensure the students spend more time training and less time learning how to navigate the software.
Augmented reality technologies for training and remote maintenance
SEA is a leading researcher in the field of augmented reality (AR) for the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) in developing technologies to improve decision support and training applications.
Many assume augmented reality is the same as simulation, when in fact it covers a wide range of visual, auditory and haptic senses, and is particularly useful for conveying spatial information and potentially displaying pre-compiled information.
SEA is developing the potential of AR technology to support military training, particularly the synthetic augmentation of live training and the development of remote maintenance skills and knowledge. By combining live environments and with synthetic ones, students can experience the sensations of immersion, friction and tension that are impossible to recreate with simulation alone. Many maintenance tasks in the military require practice on highly technical and expensive equipment that is regularly in-use. By using AR technology to recreate realistic maintenance tasks, students can practically learn and development their skills without the requirement of heavy machinery.
Simulation technology for military training
SEA's in-house design team can offer a full life-cycle service in the design, production and capability of specialist training and multi-media content simulation software programmes for training purposes.
All lesson plans, electronic media, Scalars and training devices are manufactured according to industry standards. A few examples of SEA's capabilities include:
- 3D modelling / visualisation: high fidelity models to recreate naval platforms, aircraft, characters and vehicles in a realistic environment
- 3D animation: SEA designers can create realistic and fluid animations
- High-resolution graphics: By working off of existing images and manuals, SEA staff can reproduce detailed engineer drawings and readable diagrams, even for extremely complex systems
- Video production: the SEA team combines industry tools and standards with its own expertise in production to create visually stunning effects and high-quality videos
- Audio production: SEA staff can also record voice and soundtrack recordings for videos, script writing and effects recording
- Multimedia programming: additional multimedia content for training purposes, such as SCORM-compliant interactive e-learning software, promotional animations, corporate training, website production and intranet design are just a few of the extra services SEA designers can provide
SEA was founded in 1988, and provides engineering and software design services to government agencies, industrial prime contractors and academia. We employ high-calibre staff and place our emphasis on quality of service, innovation, flexibility and a creative approach to problem solving.