SAES Sonars, On-Board Systems and Antisubmarine Warfare Missions
SAES is an expert in the complex area of signal underwater processing, developing advanced technology for security and defence in marine environments.
A significant number of products developed by SAES have dual applications in the civil and defence markets, such as intruder detection sonar.
Founded in 1989, SAES is classified as a strategic national company through NAVANTIA, INDRA and THALES its shareholders.
Sonar and on-board systems: experts in underwater signal processing
SAES specialises in the study, design and manufacture of sonar systems and underwater technology for security and defence.
Our systems offer high-reliability, easy operation and low-maintenance costs and include:
- Intruder Detection Sonar. The high-frequency active sonar DDS-03 – Intruder Detection Sonar is designed to protect harbours, anchored vessels and critical infrastructure against underwater threats such as divers and underwater vehicles. DDS-03 can be integrated with any surveillance system
- Sonar Modernization. SOCILSUB allows incorporation of new and advanced signal processing algorithms to improve the sonar performances, keeping the same cylindrical array in the submarine’s bow
- Towed Array Sonar. SOLARSUB RDTAS is a reelable digital towed array sonar that provides a 360° detection range. It is simple to integrate with the combat system and easy-to-install on-board vessels
- Towed Array Handling Systems (TAHS) allow the reeling of the array onto a capstan located on the submarine
- Acoustic Classification. SICLA is a highly versatile system that can be integrated into any combat system, PC or laptop, and connected to any acoustic device such as sonars, sonobuoys and recorders
- Underwater Acoustic Propagation. SEAPROF is a complete sonar performance and prediction system that allow the evaluation of any sonar in any underwater environment: ray tracing, propagation losses and FOM
- Acoustic signature. ONMS is a self-noise monitoring system that provides automatic alerts
- Noise Producer System is a useful device for sea testing of sonars, as well as for hydrophone calibration
- SVB is a monitoring and surveillance system to control of the operating parameters of batteries, essential to increasing their lifespan
ASW systems for aircraft and surface vessels
SPAS – Sonobuoy Processing Acoustic Systems
ASW systems are based on sonobuoys for Maritime patrol aircraft (MPA), helicopter and surface vessels.
Building on more than 25 years of expertise in acoustic processing, SAES has developed and manufactured a complete family of Sonobuoy Processing Acoustic Systems (SPAS) that covers both Air and Naval ASW operations.
SPAS is capable of processing up to 64 passive and active sonobuoys simultaneously, including the most advanced digital sonobuoys:
- SPAS – Sonobuoy Processing System
- DSAP – Digital Sonobuoy Processing System
- SPAS-SV – Sonobuoy Processing System for Surface Vessels
To support SPAS systems in ASW operations, SAES provides ground systems for post-mission analysis and training such as:
- TAT – Tactical Acoustic Trainer for training and coaching of Acoustic Operators
- FTAS – Fast Time Analyser System, allows to analyse the acoustic and tactical data (STANAG 4283 Annex C Ed. 5 Compliant) recorded during the ASW mission
- SICLA ASW – Classification System
ROASW – Remote Operation ASW System
Always looking for new solutions, SAES has developed the ROASW – Remote Operation ASW System, a new concept that meets the new requirements of the ASW missions. Benefits include:
- Digital sonobuoys which increase the effectiveness of the ASW system
- Small footprint, less weight and low-maintenance (LRU approach) Collaboration in network-centric warfare (NCW), allowing the sharing of tactical and intelligence information between the resources deployed in the ASW mission
- Use of both manned / unmanned air vehicles
Prioritize the use of smaller and faster combat ships (LCS, OPC, Corvettes, FAC) able to share tactical and intelligence information.
Advanced technology for electronics and underwater acoustics
In order to provide the navy and allied countries with the most advanced technology for electronics and underwater acoustics to meet new challenges in security and protection, SAES offer complete solutions in the following areas:
- Underwater signature measurements: MIRS – Multi-influence Range System, DEWARS – Deep Water Acoustic Range System, SET-200/P – Underwater Electric Potential Sensor, ACINT & SIGINT
- Naval mines: MINEA – Moored, Shallow Water and Cylindrical Bottom Mines, MILA – Limpet Naval Mines
- Maritime security and environmental protection: SIDIS – Integral Security System, DDS-03 – Intruder Detection Sonar, DES – Underwater Deterrent System, SAR – Smart Acoustic Recorder, SIMOAC – Acoustic Monitoring System
- Simulation and training: Submarine Tactical Simulator, Naval Tactical Simulator, SIM/STIM – Sonar Simulator/Stimulator
- Engineering services and maintenance: Technical and engineering services on underwater technology area and ASW, from design phases up to maintenance and customer support as well the training of personnel
Products and Services
DDS-03: Intruder Detection Sonar
This high-frequency active sonar DDS-03 has been specifically designed for the detection of underwater threats, such as divers and manned and unmanned underwater vehicles (SDV, ROV or UUV), off¬ering protection and surveillance against the potential threat in ports, critical facilities, shipwrecks, environmentally protected areas, special events, and anchored boats.
SOLARSUB RDTAS and TAHS: Reelable Digital Towed Array Sonar
The SOLARSUB RDTAS is a digital towed array sonar that is reelable from the platform by winch that allows the deployment and recover of the antenna.
ROASW System: Remote Operation ASW
ROASW system is a two-system segment (surface segment ROASW-SS & airborne segment ROASW-AS) capable to operate an ASW / ASuW mission by means of controlling remotely from the ROASW-SS manned / unmanned air vehicle in order to receive via data relay (STANAG 7085 compliance) the acoustic and tactical information from sensors (passive, active and digital).
SPAS: Sonobuoy Acoustic Processing System
Building on more than 25 years of expertise in acoustic processing, SAES has developed a complete family of Sonobuoy Processing Acoustic Systems (SPAS) that covers all martime patrol airfcraft (MPA) and Helo anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations.
Own Noise Monitoring System (ONMS)
If anything is changing the acoustic signature on-board the vessel, ONMS can be the difference between being detectable or not.
Acoustic Classification System – SICLA
Once detected a target, must be known, accurately and quickly, what platform it is and its characteristics.
Diver Detection Sonar – DDS-03
DDS-03 is a high-frequency active sonar specifically designed to protect harbours, anchored vessels and critical infrastructures against underwater threats.
SAES is participating at the Exponaval International Naval and Marine Exhibition and Congress for Latin America, from 4-7 December in Valparaiso, Chile.Read more
SAES recently participated at the Global SOF Symposium and ADEX 2018 from 25-27 September.Read more
SAES has presented its ASW aircrafts and helicopters at one of the most important Spanish aerospace sector event.Read more
SAES has exhibited its DDS-03 diver detection sonar at the Oceanology International China 2017 Conference Forum.Read more
SAES is to provide Kazakhstan with its Diver Detection Sonar DDS-03, while an agreement has been signed to supply smart naval mines and range stations for signature measurement.Read more
SAES will be participating at the SITDEF International Exhibition in Lima, Peru, from 18-21 May.Read more
SAES is to offer a conference about the increasing importance of the anti-submarine warfare and solutions to successfully confront the new challenges.Read more
SAES, the only Spanish company that supplies anti-submarine-warfare systems (ASW), has been involved in meetings with important companies of the aerospace sector.Read more
The anti-submarine warfare and the Mine Counter Measure are two of the fields where the countries are focusing in order to control the underwater domain, which is a priority because of the new geopolitical scenarios.Read more
Presenting at EXPONAVAL (stand 310-N), SAES will offer a conference about the present and future of the ASW war and how to successfully confront the new scenarios.Read more
SAES explains the conclusions and results deal with their participation in the European program CLOSEYE. SAES has developed a system based on sonar technology in order to detect the small boats typically used on illegal activities.Read more
The DDS-03 is being showcased in the Navantia booth (QP45) at Monaco Yacht Show from 28 September to 1 October.Read more
SAES is participating at DX Korea 2016 (stand 8C-11) to promote their products and services in north-east Asia, a region where new solutions for protection and security of coasts have an increasing demand.Read more
The study is based on the analysis of the multi-influence signature generated by the vessels as a basis to classify them.Read more
The integration of the ROASW system of SAES in the Land Based Test Site (LBTS) for the systems that FABA designs and manufactures) of CATIZ has been successfully performed this week.Read more
The increasing human interaction with the marine environment is bringing about a continuous growth in the ambient noise levels, which aggregates to the traditionally existing noises produced by natural sources.Read more
The SAES Multi Influence Range System (MIRS) for surface vessels and submarines provides real influence measures (magnetic, electric, pressure, acoustic, and seismic) in a real and controlled scenario, to successfully counter related threats.Read more